Monday 26 March 2012

Guilty Pleasure - Eurovision Special

Well here it is folks. The start of my Eurovision Countdown and where better to start than number 10.
If any of you agree with my choices or have any favourites of your own, just leave me a message.

Let the Eurovision frivolities commence.

No 10 One Step Further by Bardo (UK)

The Uk's entry for 1982's Eurovision was this jolly little song.
Bardo were actually tipped to win the contest but, as you will see watching the video, their performance on the night was less than average.
Luckily for me, I had heard the song already and absolutely loved it.
It was never going to win an NME award for best song but who cares. It served it's purpose by being a fun song with a catchy tune and, at the time, was good to dance to. What can I say, I'm gay and sometimes my musical tastes can be quite strange.

Sally Ann Triplett and Stephen Fischer were Bardo and formed just for Eurovision with plans to further their new found pop career after the contest.
Things did not get off to a good start with the act finishing 7th on the night. They fared better with the release of the song when it reached number 2 in the charts.
Unfortunately none of their other releases charted and they joined that elite group known as One Hit Wonders and separated.
They reformed under a new name and also became a duo romantically with Sally giving birth to their son in 1990 (thanks to Wikipedia for that little snippet of information).
A few years later, the relationship ended and they went their separate ways.

I honestly believe that if their performance had been better on that forsaken night, they would have indeed won the contest and who knows how the the future of Bardo could have turned out?

I am still the proud owner of One Step Further on 7" vinyl though I am not the owner of a record player. Thanks to YouTube, I recently listened to it again and was reminded of just how much I loved it and the temptation to download it from Amazon is proving very hard to resist.

Until next time, I bid thee farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment