Monday 21 November 2011

My first time on the scene - part 1

Hi folks. Apologies for the lack of a blog last week. Had a few issues to sort out.
This week I thought I'd tell you all about my very first time on the gay scene and just who was responsible for it.

My Dad and his cousin Keith were both celebrating their 60th birthday and a big party had been organised with family and friends attending.
It was being held in a part of Leeds that I had never been to and I didn't really have the money for a taxi, so the plan was that dad would pick me up in his car at 7pm and we'd drive to the venue.
I have to admit I was really looking forward to it as I get on well with Keith and his family. There was also the added bonus that my sister, brother and, of course Dad, would be there.
The time was 7pm and no sign of him. Ten minutes later and still no sign. Maybe the traffic was bad? At 7.30 I tried calling him on is mobile but there was no answer. Then I tried calling my sister. No answer there either. Several unanswered text messages and phone calls later and still Dad was a no show. By this time it was nearly 8pm and I was beginning to get worried. Then I remembered my invite. it had the name of the club where the party was taking place. A quick look in Yellow pages and I was calling the club. Thankfully someone answered. I asked if a 60th birthday party was being held there. It was and they confirmed it was for Dad and Keith.
The call was being taken upstairs in the club so I asked if they could take down my number and ask Keith to call me urgently.
A few minutes later he did. I apologised for not being there but that I was still waiting for Dad to pick me up. To my surprise, he was already there. I asked Keith to put him on the phone. Seconds later I was talking to him and asking him why he hadn't picked me up. He said he thought someone else was going to do it.
"It was all arranged that you were doing it" I said to him. I also went on to say how I thought something terrible had happened. He apologised to me and then again as he told me he couldn't pick me up now, as he had had a couple of drinks.
I was so angry and very very upset. We said our goodbyes and as I hung up, I just stood there in disbelief not knowing whether to laugh or cry.
The one thing I did know was that I was dressed to go out and there was no way I was staying in. I caught the bus into town and just walked, not really looking where I was heading.
After a few a few minutes I stopped and looked at my surroundings and there it was, probably the most famous of gay bars in Leeds. I was stood outside Queens Court.
For some time, I had been wrestling with the thought of visiting this hive of gay activity but somehow managed to always put it off. Maybe this was some kind of omen and that Dad not picking me up was someones way of saying I should go to Queens Court instead.
Should I enter or should I turn away? The urge was just too great. I had to go in and it had to be that night.
My stomach started to churn and my legs turned to jelly but never the less, I started to walk up to the entrance. Each step felt like I was carrying heavy weights around my ankles. Just a few more steps and I would be there. The thought entered my head that, even now, I could still turn and walk away. Within seconds of dismissing that thought, I was in.

Tune in next week to see what happened next.

Until then, I bid thee farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment